Our Club's History
Ashburton Golf Club was first established in 1895. From this time until 1953, the club played its golf at various locations within Ashburton, the Pound, South Street, the Showgrounds, the Racecourse and Tinwald, quite close to the south side of the Ashburton River. In 1951, land was purchased by the club to develop an 18 hole golf course on the current Brandon location, just north of Ashburton and just off State Highway One.
Brandon opened officially on 11th April 1953. The par 74 course was originally allotted a standard scratch of 73 by the New Zealand Golf Council on the 26th October 1953. Standard scratch assessments would later be superseded by course ratings.
Notable Alterations to the Course
- Elimination of the short par 3 2nd hole 1982
- Extension to the existing number 2 for men by 50 metres
- Shortening of the existing number 5 to a par 4 for men by reallocation of the green with a resultant reduction in the men’s par to 73. The hole has remained as a par 5 for women. The original green was retained as a nursery green
- Introduction of a new par 3 at number 8 in 1978 – 1979 (a pond was originally intended in front of the green) in place of the original short number 2. The old number 2 green was maintained for several years, although not in use
- The moving forward of number 9 tees with the reduction on this hole to a par 4 and the reduction of the ladies to a par 73 and the men’s a par 72
- Realignment of number 18 and redevelopment of the green on the same hole
- Sand Greens programme 1987
- New Clubhouse 1963
Why the Name Brandon?
Mr Jack Brand joined the Golf club on 11th March 1950. He was then elected a member of the committee in 1952. Jack totally immersed himself in the practical details of the new course. He was appointed the course supervisor and worked closely with the course architect in the developing the course. He was also President of the club from 1956-1959, club patron and elected a life member in 1979. Mrs Betty Brand was Ladies president from 1968-1970. At the annual general meeting of 15th February 1960, it was resolved and unanimously adopted, that the course henceforth be known as Brandon.
|Course Architect:||Mr Ray Blank|
|Course Record Men:||Cameron Grant (61) -11|
|Course Record Women:|
Ashburton Golf Club Rules: click here
© Ashburton Golf Club 2018
Web Design and Hosting by Go Tech